Saturday, July 14, 2012

~SUCCESS ~

To laugh often and much;

To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;

To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;

To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;

To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;

To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.

This is to have succeeded.

--- inaccurately attributed to

Success...What does it mean to you?  Who inspires you?  Do you watch someone and think, how do they do what they do?  Do you feel amazingly upbeat when around a certain person?

Several years ago, I was taking a class and was given an assignment to go to three people that I thought were successful and ask them if I could do a 15-20 minute interview with them on SUCCESS in their life.

So, off I went on my mission.  This was a wonderful process.  We all have a perception of what success means to us.  To hear someone I admired share what success meant to them was very powerful.  None of these three people mentioned money as being part of their success.  They ALL mentioned listening to their heart and the key....following it.  Following their heart and not what others were saying, the nay sayers.  Finding their true calling in life.  Finding the deep down success within.  When they found this calling they were able to find success or a peace and contentment within.  This is when their life and changed for them.

Two of the people I interviewed were, Mariel Hemingway and her boyfriend, Bobby Williams.  I became connected to them because my husband's name is Bobby Williams, and an old friend lived next to Mariel growing up.  So, I asked them to be my friend on Facebook and they said yes.

It was such a wonderful interview we had.  I remember having their home numbers and cell phones as we tried to connect for two weeks.  Finally, we made the connection.  Bobby was on the phone yelling outside to Mariel, 'Mariel Tracy is on the phone!'  I was laughing!  The three of us talked for an hour.  They said most people would never have just asked to talk to them.  They are just people..no better than no less than.  We connected on many issues....mostly the connection to people in life and following your heart ALWAYS!

I encourage you to think about three people that Inspire you.  Three people who's lives seem to me amazing!  Reach out to them and ask them if they would have a discussion with you on their definition of SUCCESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment